TOEIC procedure: All about the test TOEIC 2019 strategies
The TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) is a business English test created by ETS. This exam assesses the language abilities of non-native speakers in an English-speaking professional environment. It is today a standardization recognized internationally and used by many recruiters. Since its creation in 1979, several versions of the test have been developed. Today, its most common form is the TOEIC Listening & TOEIC Reading. TOEIC 2019 strategies
To achieve the best certification, Exam-Practice provides you with a methodology and all available information on the TOEIC course as well as quality content to help you in your TOEIC training. Indeed, whatever your language level, specific training is essential if you want to achieve a particular score. TOEIC 2019 strategies
In this article, we will speak exclusively about the Listening and Reading process. TOEIC 2019 strategies
Time of the TOEIC test TOEIC 2019 strategies
The TOEIC Listening and Reading lasts two hours, in which your level of Business English is tested. The test is divided into two parts, Listening and Reading. The Listening test lasts 45 minutes. The next test, therefore, lasts 75 minutes. (ie 1h15). TOEIC 2019
Unlike other tests, there is no time constraint per exercise, they are imposed by section only. Thus, inside each of them, you manage your timing by exercise as you wish.
This impression of freedom is relative for the Listening part since you have to answer according to the audio recordings that you listen to. You must, therefore, follow the timing imposed by the audio recordings and respond in the process on your “answer sheet”. TOEIC 2019 strategies
On the other hand, for the reading comprehension section of the new TOEIC, you have the freedom to organize your timing as you wish between the 4 exercises to be treated. This is both an opportunity but also a risk: be careful not to take too much time to answer the first questions. It’s up to you to manage your time well enough for each exercise.
Calculate your score
The TOEIC Listening & Reading is rated on 990 points. Each part is scored on 495. Your number of correct answers is converted to a note. You must use a TOEIC grid to convert the number of correct answers into a score. Your two notes on 495 are then added, to give you a final score, ranging from 10 to 990 for the best of you. This score represents your level. The three different scores will appear on your certification, which you will receive approximately 2 weeks after passing the exam.
You can not have negative points. Indeed, if you do not answer, or if you give a wrong answer, your score will be 0. A wrong answer does not lead to negative points. For every question, there is only one correct answer. TOEIC 2019 strategies
Introducing TOEIC Listening and Reading
TOEIC is a paper-based exam. You will be provided with a topic and an answer sheet at the beginning, on which you have to fill in your answers as you progress. It is this grid that will be read, and which will give your final score. All of your answers (200) must be written on it. You must colour the box corresponding to the pencil of paper, which will also be provided to you at the beginning of the test. You don’t have to bring anything on the exam day, everything will be provided. You just need to bring the exam pass.
The course of the test is always the same: you start with 45 minutes of listening comprehension, then you continue with 75 minutes of written comprehension. Sections are always in this order. TOEIC 2019
TOEIC Listening Section
You will listen to a recording with other candidates in a room. You must answer simultaneously on your answer sheet. The audio clips are only played once.
This part consists of 100 questions and 4 exercises. Each exercise is very different. You have to memorize what you hear, and also, anticipate what you can ask about the content.
- In the first exercise, you must answer 10 questions, each based on a photo of your booklet. These are not written, however, and you must choose the correct answer from 4 choices.
- In the second exercise, you must answer 30 questions that are not listed on your booklet either. You must choose from 3 proposals.
- In the third part, you hear 10 conversations, on which you will be asked 3 multiple choice questions.
- Finally, in the last exercise, you must understand 10 monologues, about ten sentences. Again, you will have to answer 3 questions about each monologue.
TOEIC Reading Section
Once the previous test is over, you will proceed to the reading comprehension test. This one is a bit longer but is composed of 100 questions as well, and 4 exercises. This tests your language skills to read and understand Business English.
- In the first exercise, you must complete about 40 questions, grammar and vocabulary. Each time, you will have to choose between 4 possibilities.
- In the second exercise, you will have 4 texts with fill in the blanks. You will have to choose the correct answer for the 3 missing words.
- In the third part, you have to read some texts, and then you will be asked some questions about it. You may have to read 7 to 10 texts, each followed by 2 to 5 questions. In total, 28 questions.
- The last part asks you to read but also to compare two short texts. Both media will be of different formats. You may have to read a book excerpt and an email. You have 4 pairs of texts to understand because you will be asked 5 questions each time. TOEIC 2019
Topics covered during the test TOEIC 2019
As mentioned before, the TOEIC is a Business English test. It measures candidates’ abilities to understand the language applied to the business world. The candidate is thus likely to be placed in a situation of meeting, report, meeting … The questions of the test are rather recurring and some lexical fields return so very regularly in the subjects, in particular:
- Company: human resources (hiring, contract, retirement, dismissal), relations between employees, departments of the company (purchasing, R & D, production, quality control …).
- Communication & technologies (emails, meetings, conferences, computer …).
- Finance & Budget (investments, budget, taxes, accounting, invoicing …).
- Transport (organization of trips, trips …).
- Entertainment (business meals, culture, media …).
- Health (relationship with doctors, insurance …).
If you are not used to understanding situations like those mentioned above, the training and your preparation will help you to learn the corresponding vocabulary and to master the related expressions. You can practice with Exam-Practice to train and excel your TOEIC score.