Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
Test of English as a Foreign Language or commonly abbreviated to TOEFL is an examination that measures the ability of non-English speaker’s eligibility to enrol in Universities that have English as their primary language. It is widely accepted as a standard of English speaking ability in major professional and academic institutions. IELTS is the other major English-language test barring TOEFL that is given as much importance by institutions. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
Almost 2.3 million people take this test, thus qualifying with high points becomes imperative, especially for college applications. The skills that are tested in the course of the examination are listed below: Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
There are two options available for each student, offline exam or online exam. The duration of both options varies from 2 to 3 hours. If you opt for iBT or internet-based test, the duration can range anywhere between 2 hours to 3 hours, while PBT or paper-based tests are over within 2.5 hours. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
If you are hoping to sit for the TOEFL 2019, you must keep in mind that the format of the examination has changed drastically, but for the betterment of the students. The changes in relation to each section are listed below along with the previous format. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
1. Reading Section:
The previous version: it contained 3-4 reading passages, each of contained 12-14 questions for a duration of 60-80 minutes.
CEFR Assessment Test
The new version: the number of passages has remained the same but each passage contains 10 questions now, and the duration is 54-72 minutes.
Footnote: the time you had to solve each question has significantly increased. If you do the math, it appears that you will have an extra 40 seconds to solve each question.
2. Listening Section :
The previous version: it contained 4-6 lectures with 6 questions in each. It also contained 2-3 conversations with 5 questions in each. The time provided: 60-90 minutes.
The new version: lectures have been reduced to 3-4 while the number of questions has remained the same. Conversations and their corresponding questions remain the same. The duration has been reduced to 41-57 minutes.
Footnote: there is no major advantage here since the time provided for each question has been reduced to 1.5 minutes in contrast to 1.8 minutes. Thus, you need to work harder to complete the test on time. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
3. Speaking Section:
The previous version: it contained 6 speaking tasks that had a time span of 20 minutes.
The new version: speaking tasks have been reduced to 4 from 6 and subsequently the time has been reduced to 17 minutes.
4. Writing Section:
The writing section has majorly remained similar to the previous versions. Two writing tasks that will have to be completed within 50 minutes, one of which will be integrated and the other will be independent. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
While the changes do not seem that drastic, you will start to notice the shift when you appear for mock tests. It is seen that students stay more focused in this format of the TOEFL, which results in higher scores for each section. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
How should you prepare for the TOEFL?
This is the most frequently asked questions since students think that the change in question format may change the construction and difficulty level of the questions itself, which is absolutely untrue. Although the board has reduced the number of sections, there is no apparent change in the type of questions or their level of difficulty. Thus, students need to focus on time management. You can give mock tests and practice from the previous year study material but you need to keep in mind that getting accustomed to the stipulated duration is of utmost importance. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
The speaking part needs more practice than the writing skills mainly because each task has a distinct line of skills that are required. Most non-English speaking students generally dreaded the speaking skill test, which subsequently lowered their overall score. But, with the new format, students should be relieved because of your performance in a single section will no more reflect on the overall percentage.
The following tips will help you prepare for the TOEFL and ensure that you get a high score:
1. Be thorough with the format: As discussed above, make sure you know the time duration of each section and devote enough time to all. No one likes surprises on the exam day, thus go through the numbering pattern and question format before starting preparations.
2.Set your goals straight: different schools have different benchmarks for TOEFL score. This is why you need to set a goal that is both achievable and realistic. It should be high enough to make sure that the odds are with you during admissions. You may be focused on a single school and might think that their benchmark is enough, but you wouldn’t want to rule out other schools an s well. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019 | Detailed guide for TOEFLClick To Tweet
3. Don’t be in a hurry: give yourself enough time to prepare. Public exams are solely cracked with determination and regular practice. You cannot expect to get high grades if you do not devote enough time for preparations. Try to figure out the sections that might need extra work in early stages of preps. This will give you an added advantage.
4. This is not a “touch and go” kind of experience: since this exam is pretty important and tough to crack, do not fret if you do not do well on your first attempt. You can retake the test and try to get a better score. But always try to appear for early days, this way your test scores reach your selected schools on time.
5. Make a personalized study plan: you cannot expect to score high grades in your test if you are not willing to devote ample time during preparations. A study plan will help you keep abs on sections that require more work, or sections that you are comfortable with. An efficient study plan is of utmost importance because scheduling tests and anticipating the required duration of preparation is very important. Complete preparation guide for TOEFL 2019
TOEFL Vocabulary Quiz 1
6. Strategize with experts: it may be your older sibling or your guidance counsellor, but a fool-proof strategy always comes in handy in competitive exams. You should seek help and try to strategize each section of the exam. You need to meticulously put just enough effort to pull you through the exam with impeccable scores. Since working smart is better than working hard.
7. Improve your vocabulary: most of the students appear for this exam from non-English speaking parts of the world, but that is not an excuse to shy away from polishing your own vocabulary. A strong grammatical and verbal control will reflect positively on your test scores. Try to use flashcards for remembering the 300+ words that are already a part of the curriculum. And it will not hurt if you go one step further and learn some more words. You can also improve your vocabulary with Exam-Practice.
8.Final day preparations: make sure you get enough sleep and rest on the previous day. A tired body directly makes the mind tired. You will want your brain to stay sharp and focused throughout the exam period. You might feel nervous on the day of but eat a healthy and nutritious breakfast. The test is long with almost no time for a break in between sections. Food and beverages are not allowed inside the examination hall, thus keep yourself fuelled for the entire process.