The current pandemic situation has affected the lives of many people. In this pandemic, humans have found an alternative way to study and work from home. Same way, we have come with a guide for your education in the USA. We have made a complete study abroad guide for the USA and in this article we will discuss in details about studying in the US.
In this article, we will discuss briefly
- Why the USA for studying abroad?
- What are the best courses available in the USA?
- Top 10 best universities in the USA.
- Scholarships in the USA.
- What exam to take for the USA?
- GRE and TOEFL are the best combinations for the USA.
- Where to start your USA study abroad journey?
- How much does it cost to study abroad?
Why the USA for studying abroad?
The American higher education system provides the students with options according to their needs and interests. At the undergraduate level, the student can choose different courses before they declare their choice for major at the end of the study. At the master’s degree level, the student can customize their course according to their course works to match the academic goals. The students always have the freedom to include ideas and opinions important to the area of academic interests. study abroad guide for the USA
The international degree opens up a wide range of career prospects and a degree from reputed universities widens the scope even further. Due to the varied insight into different fields of study offered by universities of the USA, it broadens the scope of the career path that the student chooses and it is known that international companies look for candidates that offer them a different take or perspective on their products.
Training and research opportunities
The US universities offer the International students at the graduate level for research and training. Students can assist professors with research on different projects and it also allows them to work with the best in their chosen field of study. study abroad guide for the USA
Supports International students
The US universities provide good guidance and support to all the students, whether it is related to visa, career, opportunities, accommodation, etc.
The U.S has made sure that all of the education sectors are well equipped with the latest technology. This makes the life of the student much simpler with easy access to data and other technology. It is said that technology plays a vital role in research and development and American universities have made sure they do not fall behind when it comes to the advancement of their facilities and their students by introducing new methods and skills for learning. study abroad guide for the USA
Now get scores instantly, in just SECONDS!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with detailed breakdown and suggestions. Practice in realtime and improve your score.
What are the best courses available in the USA?
- Business Analytics and Data Science
- Business Management
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Social Science
- Physical and Life Sciences
Top 10 best universities in the USA.
- Harvard University, (Cambridge, MA)
- Stanford University, (Stanford, CA)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), (Cambridge, MA)
- The University of California, Berkeley (UCB), (Berkeley, CA)
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), (Los Angeles, CA)
- Columbia University, (New York, NY)
- Yale University, (New Haven, CT)
- University of Pennsylvania, (Philadelphia, PA)
- Princeton University, (Princeton, NJ)
- Cornell University, (Ithaca, NY)
Scholarships in the USA
- Scholarships are geared toward particular groups of people. There are scholarships for women or graduate students.
- Some scholarships are available because of where you or your parents work, or because you come from a certain background (for example, there are scholarships for military families).
- Some students get scholarships for merit-based. The students earn them by meeting or exceeding certain standards set by the scholarship-giver. Merit scholarships might be awarded based on academic achievement or on a combination of academics and a special talent, trait, or interest. Other scholarships are based on financial need.
- Some students who have performed poorly in the GRE or GMAT and have a high GPA, the student can still have a decent chance of earning a scholarship.
- Some scholarship applications ask for recommendation letters from professors or anyone who would report professionally. The students must find someone who knows him or her well and can give a good recommendation.
- Students should always ask the target university about the availability of scholarships, eligibility, application process, and deadline. The student may search for “Graduate Admissions Coordinator” or “Financial Aid Coordinator” and email them, asking about scholarships. The titles may vary a little but the student should be able to locate the relevant person. In case the student cannot find one, one should ask the Admissions office. Write a simple email with a subject like “Need help: prospective international student scholarship information” and send them the questions. study abroad guide for the USA
Colleges that give scholarships to students:
The exams are :
- TOEFL – TOEFL exam is needed by US universities, the exam consists of writing, reading, listening, and speaking. The maximum score of the exam is 120. An acceptable score by most universities is above 100. The registration for the exam can be done at http://www.toefl.org/.
- IELTS – You will need to certify your English proficiency level and IELTS is accepted by majority of the universities. IELTS is conducted by the British Council and IDP. The average scores required for good universities is around 7. Also a good IELTS exam helps you with scholarships.
- GMAT – This exam is needed for admission to business schools. The exam consists of maths and English. The sections of the exam include verbal and quantitative reasoning, analytical, writing, and a recently added integrated reasoning section. The maximum point for the exam is 800. The fee for the exam is US$250 and the registration is online at http://www.mba.com/
- SAT – It is an undergraduate exam for admission to colleges. The SAT consists of writing, critical reading, and math and the maximum score for this exam is 2400, there is a separate writing section for 12. The fee for the exam is US$105. To register for SAT, visit http://www.collegeboard.com/
- GRE – It is an exam for admissions to most non-business programs in the US. The sections of the exam include verbal and quantitative reasoning and an analytical writing section. The maximum point for the exam is 340. The fee for the exam is US$185. For the registration, candidates can visit http://www.gre.org/
GRE and TOEFL the best combination for the USA
GRE and TOEFL have different skill sets, so there is three basic difference between these two:
- TOEFL has an easier reading and writing section than GRE.
- Only TOEFL has listened and speaking questions.
- Only GRE has maths questions.
The students who are applying to schools that require GRE scores, and also not a native English speaker, then the student is likely to have to take both tests. Before any candidate registers for either test, be sure to carefully research which exam(s) each of the schools you are applying to require. study abroad guide for the USA
- The GRE is required if the candidate is applying for a graduate school.
- The TOEFL is required if English is not the candidate’s native language and didn’t graduate from a high school or undergrad program where English was the sole language of instruction.
Where to start your USA study abroad journey?
Studying abroad is a long process, involving many steps, which is dependent on numerous factors like academic score, budget, meeting entry requirements, and visa grant.
- In all leading cities, they conduct a ‘Study Abroad’ regularly. These are usually held in big luxury hotels or at convention centers and are well-publicized in newspaper advertisements. Students can visit these fairs to get a clear idea of what the various universities offer. Spot academic evaluation and initiation of admissions can also be done during some of these fairs.
- Researching the various websites about schools and colleges also helps. Students can post queries and get answers or chat with study abroad experts online for answers.
- On Facebook, some Universities have a group for the students, so the eager one can clear their doubts on those groups.
- The IELTS and the TOEFL are the most commonly accepted tests of English. Whichever program the students choose to study: undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral, students are required to submit relevant proof of English language proficiency.
- Students need to show whether they can afford to stay abroad for the course program by submitting details of the bank account.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
The US is the world’s most popular destination for international students, it’s also among the most expensive choices.
Now, it has become easier for individual students to calculate how much they could expect studying in the US to cost. All US universities are now legally required to include fees and financial aid calculators on their websites, allowing students to get a rough idea of how much their intended course of study would cost and what aid they may be eligible for. These “net price calculators” can be accessed via the government’s College Affordability and Transparency Center, which also provides details of the US universities with the highest and lowest tuition fees and net costs.
- At MIT, the highest-ranked university in the US and the world, 58 % of undergraduates receive financial aid.
- At Caltech, almost 60 percent of undergraduates receive aid, while 98 percent of graduate students and 99% of doctoral candidates receive full financial support.
The tuition fees for government-funded institutions are much lesser than private universities.
- Private non-profit four-year colleges
Tuition fees – $35,830
Room and board – $12,680
- Public four-year colleges (out-of-state fees)
Tuition fees – $26,290
Room and board – $11,140
- Public four-year colleges (in-state fees)
Tuition fees – $10,230
Room and board – $11,140
- Public two-year colleges
Tuition fees – $3,660
Room and board – $8,660
In the US, the average yearly tuition fee is US$25,620 at public universities and $34,740 at private universities with an additional recommended budget of at least $10,800 to cover your living costs. study abroad guide for the USA
What documents are needed to submit along with the application?
- Passport photos for identification
- A statement of purpose
- Academic references/ letters of recommendation
- Certificate and transcripts of your secondary education
- Proof of English-language proficiency (e.g. a TOEFL/IELTS certificate, for schools in English-speaking countries), or other language test
- Admissions test results (e.g. GMAT/GRE results, for graduate programs).
Get your IELTS/TOEFL Writing & Speaking Scores in just SECONDS!
Evaluate your IELTS and TOEFL writing and speaking INSTANTLY with Artificial Intelligence. Get corrections and suggestions in just SECONDS. Also, practice for IELTS/TOEFL Mock Exams in Real-Time and get your exam scores in just SECONDS!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The maths syllabus includes – Calculus is 50 percent, Algebra is 25 percent and additional topics are 25 percent.
It depends on the capacity of the candidate.
The academic year begins at different times of the year in different countries, so begin your application process at least a year in advance to give enough time for your applications to be processed and to prepare for your time overseas.
In some universities scholarships are granted based on academic merit and are highly competitive. There are also lots of funding schemes targeting specific groups of students, such as students from developing countries and women studying male-dominated subjects.
Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student’s academic performance which is calculated on a scale of 4.0.
CPT is defined as employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, including: alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education in USA, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.
Exam-Practice for your Study abroad exam preparation guide
If you are dedicated to improving your IELTS and TOEFL exam scores then Exam-Practice is the best solution. You can INSTANTLY evaluate your IELTS and TOEFL writing and speaking tasks and get scores along with detailed feedback and suggestions. Also, Exam-Practice is the only platform that can evaluate all the writing and speaking tasks instantly and give you detailed feedback in just seconds!
Students around the globe are using Exam-Practice to improve their IELTS and TOEFL exam scores so what are you waiting for?
With Exam-Practice IELTS and TOEFL Instant Writing and Speaking evaluation, you will get the power in your hands, no more waiting no more searching for the right teacher, simply register and start practising. You can practice from any device from any place.