Effective networking tips
The term “networking” often refers to the ability of a company or individual to contact new customers for their business. In a way, we can say that networking includes all the means and methods used to build a network of potential customers and prospects for its activities. Currently, there are many opportunities for companies to develop their activities through networking. effective networking tips
The importance of networking in business effective networking tips
Networking is nowadays one of the key elements to develop your business English network, especially in the freelancing world. During a networking evening or during a trade show, you may, therefore, need to talk to potential prospects who may later become potential customers for your company or business activities. effective networking tips
It is not always easy to know how to initiate a conversation, especially if the conversation must be in English and not in French or other regional languages. To this end, here are some tips with essential English expressions to help you succeed in this area. effective networking tips
Adopt the right reflexes for a strong communication strategy
Before you want to start a conversation with a potential customer to develop your address book during a professional event, you must remember the right reflexes to adopt. Indeed, the gestures and the way of speaking can already determine the continuation of the relationship with the person in front of us. So think about:
- Breathe deeply to overcome your shyness and stress
- Smile slightly to encourage a good atmosphere
- Relax to inspire more self-confidence
It is also important to define your objectives beforehand as the number of contacts you want to obtain at the end of your prospecting. effective networking tips
Present your speech effective networking tips
It is essential to prepare a presentation text beforehand to avoid unpleasant surprises during the conversation. This speech summarizes in a way the essential things that concern you or your company in the eyes of your interlocutors. This speech should first specify your first name + surname. For example, you can start with a “Good morning/good afternoon/good evening, my name is…“. “Hello,/good evening, my name is…“.
Afterwards, it is now time to draw your interlocutor’s attention to the activities you are undertaking. You could use the English expressions:
- My job is…, “My job is…”
- I work as a… like a (Independent worker/freelancer) “I work as a… as a self-employed or freelancer.
- If you work for a company, you only have to say “I work as a… in… (name of the company)”. “I work as… within the company…“.
You could then specify the purpose of your presence during the event and what led you to want to talk to your interlocutors.
For example, you could say: “I would like to develop the networking of my company, that’s why I’m here. And I was wondering if you would be interested to become one of our potential partners?” effective networking tips
In French, this would mean: “I would like to develop my company’s network, hence my presence during this evening. And I was wondering if you would be interested in becoming one of our potential partners? »
The buffet technique for making contacts effective networking tips
A professional dinner or trade show is always an opportunity to develop your company’s networking. To engage the conversation and attract the interest of potential partners, the buffet technique can be used with the following English expressions (while indicating the dish you are talking about): effective networking tips
- “I recommend this on“, I recommend this dish.
- “This one is excellent with a glass of wine“, this one is excellent as an accompaniment to wine.
If you feel that the person in front of you wants to continue the discussion, feel free to introduce yourself. You could also ask questions such as:
- “Did you know this place before today? “, did you already know this place before today?
- “How did you hear about this event? “, how did you hear about this event?
- “Would you like to achieve a particular goal by being present at this event? “, would you like to achieve a particular objective by being present at this event?
Following these questions in English, the discussion will follow on its own. effective networking tips
Be inspired by the technique of listening and intelligent questioning
People always like to continue a discussion that focuses on them. You could use this pretext to develop your company’s networking. You could then use the following English expressions to discuss with a potential client or partner. effective networking tips
- “What is your job?” What do you do for a living?
- “What do you like most to do about your job?” What do you like to do most in your job?
Then direct the discussion to the interests that your interlocutor may benefit by becoming your partner or potential client by saying, “By associating with our company, you could have a good professional address book. “, by associating yourself with our company, you will obtain a well-filled professional address book.Networking in English - Effective networking tips for boosting your career.Click To Tweet
Cultivate contacts effective networking tips
If you are really interested in some people attending the professional event, the first mistake to avoid as a professional would be to take all their time. You could end the networking discussion with:
- “I believe/I think we share common interests“. I think I/we have things in common.
- “May I have your e-mail address so that I can give you more information about my business?” Can I have your e-mail address so that I can give you more information about the activities I am undertaking?
- “Here is my business card“. This is my business card. effective networking tips
Ensure the follow-up of his contacts effective networking tips
In networking, contact follow-up is a very important aspect that must be taken into account. After dinner or a business meeting, it is essential to contact all prospects and partners who have kindly given you their emails or accounts on social networks such as Linkedin or Viadeo.