IDP or British Council for the IELTS exam
IDP or British Council for IELTS IDP vs British Council
Which is best for IELTS, British Council or IDP? Where should we take the IELTS test? IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
These are the foremost questions that hit the minds of test takers in most of the Asian countries where both the British Council and IDP conduct the IELTS exam respectively.
The candidates who must consume the time for preparation of IELTS exam spend it while contrasting and comparing; IDP and British Council.
So let’s, here in this particular article try to find the answers to these foremost questions and make it easy to choose the one. IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
Register for FREE and Start your IELTS training with Exam-Practice
Who owns IELTS? IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
IELTS: Then to Now
To actually know about the true owner of the IELTS let’s sit in the time machine, and move back to the time when IELTS was actually been first conducted.
In 1980, the IELTS exam was first launched. Back then it was called as ELTS(English Language Testing Services) which was conducted by Cambridge English Language Assessment and British Council.
CEFR Assessment Test
With every passing year, this ELTS test started touching another level of popularity and the number of test taker increase in every another attempt.
With increased demand, the difficulties were also increased in administering the test, so it was decided to revise ELTS.
The test was revamped to ensure International participation. At that time it was done in collaboration with the International Development Program of Australian Universities and Colleges (IDP), now known as IDP: IELTS Australia.
DP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
This collaboration helps to facilitate this test worldwide and the idea of consolidation reflects in its new name: International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
From above it is concluded that both IDP and British Council jointly own the IELTS test along with Cambridge English Language Assessment.
All official literature and TRF (Test Report Form) carry the stamps of all the three bodies irrespective of whether the test is conducted by British Council or IDP.
So, besides this, the other thing that we can conclude from above information is IDP: IELTS Australia joined the IELTS was only to promote its global participation and for the upright administration of the IELTS test along with British Council. Not to make the IELTS test any easier or difficult. IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
So, here it breaks the myth to the popular beliefs of which conduct the IELTS easier? The level of the exam is exactly the same in both of them.
IELTS: Difficulty level
Neither British Council nor IDP: IELTS Australia construct the test material, it is wholly compiled by Cambridge English Language Assessment who is also one of the partners of this amazing IELTS ownership.
This concluded that whether you sit at IELTS British Council or IELTS IDP: IELTS Australia, you will get exactly the same test.
IELTS at British Council & IDP
IELTS Examiners & Marking
At both IDP and British Council, the examiners are trained in exactly the same way, following the same guidelines.
In Listening & Reading IELTS test, the answers are marked clerically. Each correct answer is awarded one point and your score is calculated on the basis of every right answer. So, this is the same criteria at both the test center.
Now coming on the rest of the two test, Writing & Speaking IELTS test which is marked by the examiner itself.
So now, we need to clear this fact that both the IELTS examiner whether IDP or British Council, tend to complete the same training course, follow the same marking criteria, and also the same band descriptors.
So, undoubtedly the Writing & Speaking IELTS test, both are evaluated exactly the same at IDP and British Council.
Even the examiners are checked frequently to ensure that they are not marking too high or too low.
Even after, IDP being Australian and British Council being British they both use same range if accents. In both, we can also add the American accents.
In the speaking test, the examiner can be of any country and can have any accent.
So, you need to be fluent and comfortable with every accent not any of the stated particular.
After comparing every important factor we have concluded two major factors here ~
- There is no difference between IELTS at IDP and British Council.
- There is no difference in the marking scheme or between the examiners at the two centers.
So, still, we can make our choice to select the best of the two.
Factors to choose: IDP or British Council?
1.Test Dates in IDP or British Council IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
Before booking your IELTS test, you should be sure and confident about your linguistic skills. Depending upon the same, decide which test center offers you the test date you want.
2.Equipment for listening IELTS test: Speaker or Headphones IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
Many test takers do prefer headphones over speakers, just to concentrate in a better way.
So, you should check this in advance and choose wisely among the two.
3.Test center close to your home IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
The IELTS is a complete evaluation of 2 hours and 40 minutes, so in order to avoid stress and be fresh, you should choose the test center close to your house.
It’s rare to find someone taking the IELTS for pleasure. Almost everyone takes it because they need a particular IELTS score to apply for a university program or a visa. That’s 2.5 million people last year. Right now the fees of IELTS exam varies from country to country and also price is variable from IDP to British Council, although the price from IDP is little cheaper compared to British Council, but the difference is negligible. So what is included in the IELTS fee anyway, and why is it so expensive?
IELTS fees for the Academic and General Training tests are the same. Fees vary depending on which country you’ll be taking the test in, but it’s never cheap. If you think about it, it’s a pretty big undertaking to run a test like the IELTS. Here’s a breakdown of what’s involved: IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
- Designing the original test – Sure, the IELTS has been around since 1989, but a team of academics and researchers had to build the original test, come up with the scoring mechanism, and pilot the test to make sure it was consistent across a range of skill levels and student profiles. That required a large upfront investment. IELTS fees for the first decade were probably paying that off, although by now the original cost has certainly been recouped.
- Keeping the test updated – If you go take the IELTS next month, you won’t get the same questions like the last year. You have to think of the IELTS as a test framework rather than a list of questions. The big pool of questions that any given IELTS test is pulling from has to be fed with new test items all the time to prevent people from cheating by sharing past tests. IELTS fees cover the writing and calibration of these new test items.
- Marketing the test – The IELTS went from 43,000 test takers in 1995 to 2.5 million two decades later. That kind of growth is powered by marketing, and marketing costs money. Standardized tests need one thing more than anything else and that’s acceptance. The more immigration authorities and universities require an IELTS score for application, the more people will take the IELTS. According to the IELTS site, over 9000 organizations accept the IELTS today. IELTS fees include marketing costs.
- Scoring the test – The IELTS includes four sections: reading, listening, speaking, and writing. These last two must be scored by hand, one at a time. Your IELTS test fee includes payment to a corrector, usually an English teacher, who has had special training to be able to score English writing or speech consistently for the IELTS exam.
- Administering test centers – The IELTS is jointly managed by the British Council, Cambridge English Language Assessment, and IDP Education. Most IELTS test takers take the exam at a British Council center. British Council keeps a part of every IELTS fee for a test taken in its centers. British Council is a registered charity in the UK, and the huge revenue stream from IELTS is almost certainly part of the reason the organization is so powerful worldwide in the English learning sector.
- Monopoly – There aren’t many standardized English tests out there. If you need to prove your English skills in order to apply for a visa for the UK, Australia, New Zealand or other English speaking countries, you’ll have to take the IELTS. Universities may accept more than one exam, but quite a few only accept the IELTS. When you have a monopoly, you can set your price.
If you need to take the IELTS and you’re trying to avoid paying high IELTS fees, your best chance is to prepare well before signing up. Taking the IELTS without preparing for it is a sure-fire way to get a lower score than you need. Then you’ll just have to pay the fee a second time! IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
You can checkout the official IELTS website for the specif price and registration process.
Try our another article for the detailed price of IELTS exam. IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
This IELTS (International English language testing system) is outlined to evaluate your linguistic skills in order to make it easy for you to study, work or migrate in the land across the borders.
Practice as much as you can. Nobody can fail you. Both examiners, marking scheme & even the content is same in both; IDP and British Council.
Hope every doubt of yours regarding this same topic has been cleared in this article.
Share your Experience
So, here is your chance to share your personal experience regarding IDP or British Council. IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
Post a comment to tell us about your part, eagerly waiting! IDP or British Council, IDP vs British Council IELTS
All the very best for your future journey!