IELTS and TOEFL for Foreign Universities
We all dream about studying in foreign universities for the chance of knowing different cultures up close and interacting with their local people. There are many things which help us to get into these universities. However, there is the language proficiency test which is mandatory to get into any foreign university. The two of the most popular language proficiency exams are IELTS and TOEFL. However, there are quite some differences between the two of them. In this article, we will discuss how IELTS and TOEFL help with Foreign Universities.
Check our article for – Student Visa for the US, UK and Canada
Key highlights of the article
- Everything about IELTS
- Everything about TOEFL
- The difference between IELTS and TOEFL
CEFR Assessment Test
What are the important details about IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System, commonly known as IELTS is a language proficiency exam for non-native English language speaking students want to study in an English-speaking nation. The venue for this test is most in the British council or IDP centre for the respective countries. The score or grade for this exam is valid for two years. The grade range for the exam is from 0 to 9 with the band increments of 0.5. This exam is organised in over 140 countries in more than 1600 centres. The results of this test are accepted in around 10,000 colleges, institutions and other agencies in over 130 countries. Annual exam takers for this test every year is over 3 million.
How to prepare for IELTS?
There are some steps that one needs to follow in order to score well in IELTS. They are mentioned below:
- One needs to understand the format of the exam. The aspirant needs to be familiar with the types of questions and tasks in each section so that they can score good marks and he or she does not panic when they get the question paper for the first time. It is also advised that the aspirants read about all the rules and regulations regarding the IELTS exam.
- The student should start solving sample papers to be ready for the test and tackle every question and the task in the question paper. It will also give you a clear idea about the questions in the listening, speaking, writing and the reading section.
- There are several officials practise materials which are available for the IELTS exam. They are easily accessible and should thoroughly be solved by the student.
- If all the sample papers and practise material does not help you cope with the exam pressure then you can consider professional assistance for the test. There are many language schools and IELTS centres which offer to help you prepare for the exam. This helps many students improve their test scores.
- The student should register as soon as possible. There are over 1600 centres in 140 countries but there may be a limited number of seats in a particular centre for a given day so the student should register as soon as possible to get their desired centre and desired date for the exam.
What is the pattern for the exam?
The IELTS basically tests you on four important skills of the English language. The four sections for the exam are listed below:
Now get scores instantly, in just SECONDS!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with detailed breakdown and suggestions. Practice in realtime and improve your score.
Trusted by thousands of students worldwide for evaluating their scores
- Listening– This section is divided into four sections and the time duration for this section is 30 minutes.
- Reading– This section is divided into three sections and there are 40 questions in total. The time duration for this section of the test is 60 minutes.
- Writing– This section consists of two tasks and the time duration to complete this section is 60 minutes.
- Speaking– This part of the test has three tasks in total. The time duration for each task of the section is 11-14 minutes.
IELTS Vocabulary 1
What are the important details about TOEFL?
The test of English foreign Language, more commonly known as TOEFL is an English language proficiency exam conducted for the non-native speaking English students. This test scores are accepted by many institutions and agencies along with many universities. There are over 2.3 million students who take this test each year. The score or grade of the test is valid for two years. More than 10,000 colleges, agencies and institutions accept the score of this test for the admission process is over 130 countries. There are over 4500 centres where this test is conducted and they are spread across 165 countries. There is no prerequisite required for the test and the test is specially conducted for non-native English-speaking students.
How to prepare for TOEFL?
Here are some tips to prepare for the TOEFL exam:
- One needs to completely aware of the pattern of the exam. There are two formats for the exam, one being the internet-based exam and the other being the paper-based exam. The student needs to decide on the format which he or she wishes to give the exam on and prepare accordingly.
- One should figure out early as to why anyone is taking the exam and are the plans after they get their scores for the test.
- Set a score that you want to acquire in mind. You need to check the cut-off marks for any university and aim for a little higher than that score.
- You should always keep a study guide while preparing for the test. This will help you prepare better for the test.
- Get support from trained professionals to improve the test results.
What is the pattern for the test?
The internet-based exam format:
- Reading section: 36-56 questions which take about 60-80 minutes
- Listening section: 34-51 questions which take about 60-90 minutes
- Short break- 10 minutes
- Speaking section-6 tasks which take about 20 minutes
- Writing section: 2 essays which take about 50 minutes
Here is the guide for TOEFL Syllabus
The paper-based exam format:
- Listening section: 50 questions which take about 30-40 minutes
- Writing section: 40 questions which take about 25 minutes
- Reading section: 50 questions which take about55 minutes
- TWE test: write one essay which takes about 30 minutes
Check this ETS website – who accepts the TOEFL Exam
Which countries accept TOEFL and IELTS?
- United States: 90% of universities accept the TOEFL over IELTS. it is estimated that US universities which approve of TOEFL get higher TOEFL scores than any other English language test combined.
- Canada: more than 75% of Canadian graduate programs prefer qualification in TOEFL over any other regional English language tests.
- Australia and Newzealand: all New Zealand and Australian universities are biased towards the TOEFL. They are accepted for both education and immigration purposes.
- European countries: German and French universities accept the TOEFL and IELTS both. And TOEFL acceptance rates are widespread in the UK too.
TOEFL Vocabulary Quiz 1
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the difference between IELTS and TOEFL for universities?
Apart from the differences in the format discussed above, TOEFL is mainly accepted in the institutions in the USA while IELTS is accepted in the institutions in the UK. The IELTS score ranges from 0 to 9 while the TOEFL score ranges from 80-120.
One should develop grammar and vocabulary to do well in the language test. There is no separate segment regarding these two skills but developing these skills help to score well in the exam. The essay will improve to a great extent due to better vocabulary and grammar skills.
- The grade or the score obtained in both the tests lasts for two years.
- Both are English proficiency tests.
- TOEFL is mainly accepted in the USA.
- IELTS is mainly accepted in the UK.
- The grammar and vocabulary skills help to improve the test scores.
Studying in universities away from your home might just prove to be the best decision you have ever made. you get to see the world as it is. No cushioned blows. Experiencing real life in college is ideal, because then you can be ready to face real-world problems. along with the practical approach, you also get to know about so many different cultures and customs. you will get to experience different modes of education. This is a luxury that you will not be able to afford in your home,living out of your parent’s house. There is a vast majority of students who prefer education abroad for the sole purpose of immersing themselves into a new language. You get to divein straight away, and go as deep as you wished. Sometimes you return home a changed man, other times you fall in love with the country so much that you plan to settle there. If and when you return home, you will see that more opportunities come your way because of the exposure and durability you get when you live in a different country in your formative ages.