The current pandemic situation has affected the lives of many people. In this pandemic, humans have found an alternative way to study and work from home. Same way, we have come up with a brief idea from which your confusion about ‘which is best for Canada; IELTS or CELPIP ?’ will get cleared. So let’s see what which exam to chose IELTS or CELPIP for Canada.
In this article, we will discuss briefly :
- Why is Canada one of the best places for education?
- IELTS and CELPIP, what are the differences?
- Where to register for IELTS and CELPIP?
- Which exam is better for Canada, IELTS or CELPIP?
- How much does it cost to study in Canada?
- Which are the best universities in Canada?
- Study abroad guide for Canada
Why is Canada one of the best places for education?
The advantages of studying in Canada are :
- Get benefits from world-class education- Canadian colleges and universities are recognized around the world. The Canadian educational system encourages cross-disciplinary studies and the development of transferable skills I.e, critical thinking, teamwork, and communications, also uses cutting-edge technology and digital media.
- Live in a bilingual environment- Coursework in French and English is an integral part of Canada’s educational system, which enriches its cultural and community life. Canada is a bilingual country, which makes it an opportunity to learn and develop language skills besides study.
- Gain work experience in Canada, after graduation- The Canadian government offers a work program to students who obtained a diploma from a post-secondary school in Canada, who are looking for work experience, which will develop professional skills.
IELTS and CELPIP, what are the differences?
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program) are both skill-based exams. Both tests are used for study, work, and immigration purposes. However, there are some differences between these two exams,
- The CELPIP Test is entirely computer-based and all components of the tests are delivered by computer. IELTS or CELPIP for Canada
The IELTS Test is entirely paper-based, which includes writing, reading, and listening. The speaking test is done in person.
- Both the tests accept American and British English spelling and grammar, although the CELPIP is designed for Canadian English and the IELTS for British English.
- The score of each section of the IELTS Test is from 1 to 9 and for the CELPIP Test, there is a score of 1 to 12 for each section.
- The IELTS test is not completed on the same day, the IELTS speaking section is done separately at a different time. There is no automatic computerized time tracking with IELTS.
The CELPIP test is conducted over 3 hours in one sitting and time allocations include the question, answer, and transition times. The CELPIP Listening and Speaking sections may take a few more minutes but there is a shorter writing section.
- The IELTS result may take 13 days to come out. But the CELPIP result may take 10-12 days. But if someone wants the result of CELPIP earlier, it will be available in 3 business days for an extra fee of $100.
Where to register for IELTS and CELPIP?
For IELTS –
- Log on to www.ielts.org
- Select the option “Register for IELTS”
- Select your test date and test city (you will see the seat availability status)
- Complete the online application form
- Pay the test fee by credit card (Master / Visa)
- Get instant seat booking and acknowledgment
For CELPIP –
- Visit the official website of the CELPIP.
- Submit all your necessary details.
- Select the test date and center.
- Make an online payment.
The CELPIP exam price is less than IELTS. The cost of the CELPIP-General test is $265 plus tax.
Now get scores instantly, in just SECONDS!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with detailed breakdown and suggestions. Practice in realtime and improve your score.
Which exam is better for Canada, IELTS or CELPIP?
CELPIP is a Canadian test, but that does not mean CELPIP scoring will be more beneficial for your application.
In two situations, the CELPIP exam is beneficial:
- Giving the English language test for Canada immigration only.
- The candidate may spend any time in Canada, as a worker, student, or visitor. IELTS or CELPIP for Canada
CELPIP is more advantageous than IELTS because :
- The CELPIP test format is more modern because it is taken completely on a computer.
- CELPIP result gets declared within 8 days, compared to 13 days for IELTS.
- Paying extra for ‘Express Rating’, candidates can get their results in 3 days.
- CELPIP fee is less than that of IELTS (at the time of writing).
- There are no additional interview dates.
- The entire test is completed in one sitting (people with jobs and those who have to travel long distances only have to come to the test center once).
- CELPIP tests your English according to the English language used in Canada, which is a mix of American and British English. It is possible that employers will be more satisfied with CELPIP than IELTS because it is a better test of how they speak in Canada.
How much does it cost to study in Canada?
The tuition fees are generally less expensive than in the US, the UK, and Australia (although they are still quite high in comparison to other countries). IELTS or CELPIP for Canada
- Fees to apply to universities in Canada will vary depending on the university and your country of origin. For example, the University of British Columbia charges undergraduate Canadian students CA$70.50 (~US$53.40) and international students CA$118.50 (~US$89.70).
- For study purposes, the candidate must apply for a study permit, which costs CA$150 (~US$114). A Canadian study permit is not required if the course or program lasts six months or less.
- For the Canadian citizen an average of CA$6,463 per year for an undergraduate degree, and CA$7,056 per year for a graduate degree is required.
- The average tuition fees are CA$29714 (~US$22,500) per year.
- The humanities courses tend to be cheaper, averaging $5,542).
- While subjects such as engineering and medicine are among the more expensive (an average of CA$21,717 (~US$16,446).
- For Medicine $14,162 (~US$10,724).
- Fees for business and management courses are lower than the national average, at CA$6,827 (~US$5,170) per year.
For postgraduate, the tuition fees are generally lower, and again vary depending on your program,
- The executive MBA programs are generally the most expensive, averaging around CA$56,328 (~US$42,657), while regular MBAs cost CA$27,397 (~US$20,747) on average.
- Statistics Canada puts the average postgraduate tuition fee for international students at CA$17,744 in 2019/20, which is approximately US$13,437.
You will need to purchase compulsory health insurance while studying in Canada. This will cost approximately CA$600-800 (~US$455-607) per year.
Which are the best universities in Canada?
The best universities in Canada are :
- The University of Toronto – Originally controlled by the Church of England, the first university founded in the colony of “Upper Canada” is structured as a collegiate system, much like prestigious universities in the UK.
More than 700 undergraduate degrees and 200 postgraduate degrees are on offer and the university is one of the best in the world for medicine.
- University of Montreal – Many renowned business leaders are graduates of the university, including Louis R. Chênevert, chief executive officer of the United Technologies Corporation. Other graduates are noted for their contributions to scientific research, including innovations in nuclear power, visual perception, and quantum cryptography.
- McMaster University – McMaster’s medical school is world-renowned and there are also faculties of engineering, business, humanities, social sciences, and science. The university places a strong emphasis on research working to target some of the most urgent needs in society, particularly in the field of health sciences. This includes research from the Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute, which turned sections of human skin into blood cells, which could help to alleviate the shortage of blood donors.
- McGill University – The university offers more than 300-degree subjects to more than 31,000 students from 150 countries. It counts itself as one of Canada’s most internationally diverse institutions.
It is the only Canadian institution represented in the World Economic Forum’s Global University Leaders Forum, which comprises the heads of 26 of the world’s top higher education institutions.
- University of British Columbia – The oldest university in the province, the University of British Columbia is one of the most competitive in Canada.
The university offers a number of scholarships, including the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award for candidates from war-torn countries.
Eight Nobel prizewinners are associated with the university, as are 71 Rhodes scholars and 65 Olympic medallists.
Study abroad guide for Canada
- First, Candidates also need to conduct a careful analysis of the rules and regulations applicable to the study permit application process. Only recognized schools and periods of approved study will be meaningful.
- Choosing a good institution should be the main priority by checking all the criteria. The Canadian academic setup is flexible towards switching courses, although it is best to compare your options beforehand and choose a major that you are truly interested in pursuing.
- To successfully gain entry into Canada, candidates need to give proficiency English tests, like IELTS, CELPIP, and TOEFL.
- Applying to a dozen universities can be advantageous but you will have to consider the application fee, which varies from $100 to $250.
- After an institution is ready to admit you, it is time to apply for the Canada Study Permit. You can apply online or visit your local visa application centre. Your application must be accompanied by the acceptance letter received in the previous step, your passport, and documentary proof that you have adequate finances to study in Canada. IELTS or CELPIP for Canada
- Your permit will have a start date, which is the date from which the permit comes into force. Keep in mind that you won’t be permitted to enter Canada before this date.
- The immigration officer will verify your permit and other documents at the port of entry before allowing you to enter Canada. This is the final step of the immigration formalities and you can now focus on commencing your journey as an international student in Canada.
Get your IELTS/TOEFL Writing & Speaking Scores in just SECONDS!
Evaluate your IELTS and TOEFL writing and speaking INSTANTLY with Artificial Intelligence. Get corrections and suggestions in just SECONDS. Also, practice for IELTS/TOEFL Mock Exams in Real-Time and get your exam scores in just SECONDS!
Frequently Asked Questions
It differs from one organization to the next, the IELTS test fee is approximately $225 CAD. The fee tends to escalate with each passing year.Where can I take the CELPIP Test?
CELPIP is offered in over 60 locations all around the globe. Bear in mind that CELPIP is only available in Canada, India, the U.S., Philippines, and the UAE. Based on your precise location, you can look up which official bodies offer the test.
It differs from one organization to the next, the CELPIP test fee is approximately $185 CAD. The fee tends to escalate with each passing year.
Tuition fees vary based on institutions. Contact the administration where you intend to study for more information.
If an application is refused, the individual may be able to re-apply with a new application.
Exam-Practice for your IELTS exam preparation guide
If you are dedicated to improving your IELTS and CELPIP exam scores then Exam-Practice is the best solution. You can INSTANTLY evaluate your IELTS and TOEFL writing and speaking tasks and get scores along with detailed feedback and suggestions. Also, Exam-Practice is the only platform that can evaluate all the writing and speaking tasks instantly and give you detailed feedback in just seconds!
Students around the globe are using Exam-Practice to improve their IELTS and TOEFL exam scores so what are you waiting for?
With Exam-Practice IELTS and TOEFL Instant Writing and Speaking evaluation, you will get the power in your hands, no more waiting no more searching for the right teacher, simply register and start practising. You can practice from any device from any place.