Exam Price for TOEFL iBT
The TOEFL iBT price varies from country to country, and sometimes even from testing center to testing center. The test fee can be anywhere from 160-250 US Dollars, but in most places, it’s around $200. If you don’t study or don’t borrow your study materials and don’t register for the test on time, then you will have to bear the following additional costs:
Some additional charge in the TOEFL iBT price
Registration of the test
Fees vary according to the country.
Late Registration of the test
Rescheduling the test
Reinstatement of cancelled scores
Additional score reports (per institution or agency)
Speaking OR Writing score review
Speaking AND Writing score review
The test is conducted in both online and offline mode for than 50 times in a year, depending upon the country and region. The score of TOEFL (valid for 2 years) is accepted by more than 10,000 institutions, universities and agencies across 130 countries. The TOEFL iBT price for the Paper-based test is 180$ and it does not contain “speaking section”. The maximum number of candidates (about 98%) takes TOEFL iBT. This is a more desirable format by the universities since it assesses 4 major English Language skills — reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
Fees are subject to change without notice.
People who want to demonstrate or test their level of proficiency in the English-Language sit for TOEFL. More than 30 million people from all over the world have taken the TOEFL till date. Be it the ones applying for visas or work permit. Medical and licensing agencies use it for professional certification purposes. Individuals use them to measure their progress in learning English.
- The full payment has to be paid at the time of the registration.
- Should have the correct numeric and dollar amount.
- Should contain appropriate signatures.
Note that if students fail to submit the correct amount of fee for the TOEFL iBT price, the registration form will be cancelled.
Forms of Payment for the test
The modes of payment accepted by ETS to pay the TOEFL iBT price are as follows:
American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard® or VISA®.
Note: American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard and e-checks are not accepted for the following locations: Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and Togo. Only VISA cards are accepted for those locations.
When you select credit/debit card as your payment method, you have the option to pay in select local currencies instead of U.S. dollars.
Electronic Check (e-Check)
E-check can be issued from a bank in the United States or its territories that too in U.S. dollars only. E-checks can be used to register online or by phone.
Payment can be made via PayPal.
Paper check or money order
Paper check or money order — must be in U.S. dollars and made payable to ETS-TOEFL.
Western Union Quick Pay
It is used for mail registration only. When you complete the form, use the following under “Pay To:” Company Name: Educational Testing Service; City Code: TOEFLPROGRAMNJ; Country: U.S.A. You must send the original receipt marked “Agency’s Copy” with your form.
Forms of Payment Not Accepted by ETS
- cash or demand drafts
- post-dated checks
- any currency other than U.S. dollars
- receipts for bank checks
- UNESCO coupons
Note that your bank account may be debited the same day ETS receives your request.
Refunds and Cancellation Policy
- To receive a refund, you need to cancel your registration by the deadline (4 days before your test date).
- Refunds are in U.S. dollars for half of the original test fee paid. The balance is retained to cover expenses for processing your registration and holding a seat for you at the test center.
- Cash refunds are not available.
- Refunds will not be given if registration procedures were not followed or you failed to present the required identification documents at the test center.
- If you paid by credit/debit card or e-check, the refund will be credited back to the original credit/debit card or bank account.
- If payment was made with a personal check drawn on a U.S. domestic bank, please allow 8 weeks for processing.
- Refunds are not available for other services.
How to Minimize the Additional Costs
In order to spend as necessary as possible, here’s what you should do:
- Register in advance, but not so far in advance that you’ll need to reschedule. Register only when you are certain you want to (and will be ready to) take the test.
- Check to see if you’re eligible for a fee waiver or TOEFL voucher.
- Take advantage of the 4 free score reports that ETS provides you. To do so, you’ll need to choose your score recipients online by 10 p.m. the day before your exam.
- Prepare well before your test so you won’t have to retake it.
- Take advantage of our free resources online and affordable materials.
Why choose TOEFL?
TOEFL is preferred over other exams that test proficiency in English language because:
- It’s the most widely accepted test in the world
- It most accurately measures the candidates level of English proficiency
- It’s the most fair and unbiased test for the stated purpose
- It can be attempted frequently and conveniently.
Scholarships for TOEFL
- ETS offers a number Grants and Awards for deserving candidates various research programs organized by it.
- They launched ‘TOEFL Scholarships and Giving program‘ helping students fund their education in India.
- They have granted scholarships to meritorious candidates in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and China in the past.
TOEFL Eligibility Criteria for Test
- There are no official eligibility criteria for TOEFL set by ETS. TOEFL is open to all the candidates.
- Any student who is planning to pursue higher education in another country where the native language is English can apply.
- A candidate who has passed his or her HSC examination or equivalent from a recognized board.
- Candidates must possess a valid passport to present as a proof of Identity.
- There is no age limit to appear for the test.
- If you have any questions or issues, you can contact the Regional Registration Centre (RRC).
- The registration can be cancelled either on the official website or via phone by calling at Regional Registration Center.
- In case of cancellation, 50% of the original fee paid by the candidate will be refunded to them.
Below are the criteria’s to keep in mind before you book the test:
- Registration closes 7 days before your test date.
- Late registration closes 4 days before your test date and has a late fee of US$40 to had to the initial TOEFL iBT price.
- Mac users: The TOEFL registration system is not compatible with Safari. You must use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Windows users: Use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with Windows 7 operating system or higher.