TOEFL Online Preparation
The full form of the TOEFL is the Test of English as a foreign language. TOEFL is an English skill test that tests the ability of people who do not speak English primarily. There are many universities all over the world like colleges in the United States of America, Australia, Newzealand, Canada, UK where the TOEFL is needed for the students who want to go there for higher studies, or need credentials for the immigration visa for job applications. Some universities make it mandatory for the admission procedure. In this article, we will discuss about TOEFL online preparation.
Key highlights of this article.
- What is TOEFL?
- The format of the TOEFL examination.
- What kind of books you should study to crack the TOEFL exam.
- TOEFL Online Preparation guide.
- What is the eligibility of the TOEFL?
CEFR Assessment Test
The format of the TOEFL examination
The TOEFL is mainly an online examination but you can choose paper-based mode too. The examination is divided into two modes. One is iBT and the second one is PBT. You may select any one mode according to your preference.
The TOEFL iBT: iBT means the internet-based test. It’s an online method where you have to display fluency in the English language. For this method, you must be skilful in the following sections:
See our guide for TOEFL Reading Practice
The PBT TOEFL: PBT means a paper-based test that is performed on paper. It’s also an English fluency test on reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Though there are some remarkable differences between TOEFL iBT and TOEFL PBT. Below there is a list of differences:
TOEFL internet-based test
TOEFL Paper Based Test
Approximately 165 USD.
Approximately 140 USD
Writing, reading, speaking and listening
Writing, reading, structure and listening
The TOEFL iBT exam pattern
As TOEFL iBT is an internet-based exam, it is conducted through the internet. TOEFL iBT has four sections which are:
- Reading: The duration of the reading section can vary between 60 and 80 minutes.
- Listening: This section can vary between 60 and 90 minutes.
- Break: There is a 10 minute break time.
- Speaking: There are 20 minutes allotted for the speaking section.
- Writing: The duration of the writing section is 50 minutes.
The TOEFL PBT exam pattern
The TOEFL PBT is a paper pen format for those who stay in that area where the internet is not available. The TOEFL PBT is an English aptitude test. Those who want to appear for the TOEFL PBT exam have to contact their nearest centre for further information about the TOEFL PBT exam pattern. There are 4 divisions in this pattern which are listening, reading, writing, and structure.
- Listening: it takes 30 to 40 minutes approximately.
- Reading: the time span is approximately 50 to 60 minutes.
- Writing: the duration of the writing test is approximately 30 minutes.
- Structure: it takes 25 minutes approximately.
Here is the complete guide for your TOEFL Syllabus
Over the last few years, TOEFL is accepted throughout the world. It has become very popular among the students as well as among the job seekers. There are many universities around the world where the TOEFL exam is a must. The U.S.A., Canada, Australia, the U.K., Germany, France- are some countries where the TOEFL test for admission is mandatory.
What are the best TOEFL online preparation courses available?
ETS: TOEFL Test Preparation: the insider’s guide
If you want to start preparing for TOEFL, ETS is one of the websites that you can use. Since it is the official website for TOEFL, students are assured of its authentic approach. There are several courses available for free, and Insider’s guide is one among these. You will have to work 2-4 hours per week on it and it requires 6 weeks for completion. You will learn a lot of things from the website and it will also take you through a guided tour of each section.
Exam-Practice for TOEFL online preparation
Exam-Practice is one best website to practice for TOEFL online. Exam-Practice provides you with Real-Time mock exams where you can practice for the TOEFL test and also get used to the exam structure and time. It also provides you with training exercises for all the 4 sections, i.e. Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. Exam-Practice also helps you with Grammar and Vocabulary exercises to strengthen your English basics. You can even track your daily progress and see your statistics with Exam-Practice. Exam-Practice is certainly one of the best websites for TOEFL online preparation.
Now get scores instantly, in just SECONDS!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with detailed breakdown and suggestions. Practice in realtime and improve your score.
Trusted by thousands of students worldwide for evaluating their scores
This is a world-renowned company that has served in the education sector for years. Along with many other courses in a lot of different streams, you can get a set of preparation guides for TOEFL. Each question is explained well, and you will get great tips on answering each question, that will subsequently fetch you more marks. They have experienced tutors who teach students to score higher than 100 points in their TOEFL test. The downside of Udemy is that you need to find the right course and also the courses are not interactive. You can’t practice on real-time and also you can’t have feedbacks of your progress.
The company claims to have invented the test preparation courses. They are widespread throughout the United States. And for students who do not live there or are unable to attend live lectures, they can attend online classes as well. The prep course is self-paced, i.e, you can take your own sweet time to finish the course. The overall estimated duration of the whole course is 3 months. The package includes video lessons, exams for practice and books included in the course.
What kind of books you should study to crack the TOEFL exam:
There are so many books for TOEFL preparation in the market. It is not possible to discuss all the books. So here I give some of the best books which will help you to choose according to your needs. TOEFL online preparation
The lists are below:
1: The Official Guide to the TOEFL test– since this book is published by ETS which is the parent organization for the TOEFL, it is the best source to get accurate information. It contains separate sections that are devoted to each skill. At the end of every chapter, you will get a set of questions for your practice. A CD is provided with the book for better help.
- As it is the official book of the TOEFL test, it is very informative and well described.
- Variety of questions as well as their answers are well explained which are common to the original TOEFL.
- if you are looking for help to answer the questions, you will not get help from this book.
TOEFL Vocabulary Quiz 1
2: Barron’s Essential Words for the TOEFL: this is a vocabulary based book. As we all know that vocabulary is a very important part of the TOEFL, this book contains words which are made mandatory in the TOEFL. This book will help you find out the definitions and synonyms of each word. There are huge sections in this book where there are some practice questions to examine your understanding of words. It’s a vocabulary test to choose the word which is most similar to the given word.
- The 500 words that are prescribed by ETS are included in this book.
- There are many types of practice questions to test your aptitude.
- This book does not have any flashcards, so you need to create them for your own ease.
- This book mainly focuses on vocabulary, so it cannot be utilized as a good prep book for TOEFL.
3: Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume1 and Volume 2: TOEFL iBT books are one of the best books to practice for TOEFL because these sets of questions are made by those people who conduct the original TOEFL examinations. So in this book, it is assumed that the questions are common with the original TOEFL this book is included with a CD for more practice.
- One can easily understand the explanations which are easy to grasp for all.
- The practise questions are similar to the main iBT TOEFL. So one can get used to with the format.
- This book mainly concentrates on practice tests and questions, so if you are searching to gather more information, you might have to look for other resources.
Here are the lists of the best books for TOEFL Preparation
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
TOEFL is conducted more than 45 times a year. You can select your test date and also select your preferred location.
Yes. Toefl takes approximately 3 hours. It is prescribed to all students that they reach the exam centre well in advance and anticipate to say there for almost 3.5 hours. This time includes transitions and breaks in between sections.
Of course, you can take the test as many times as you want. There is no limit since there is always room for improvement.
Registration opens 3-4 months prior to your aspired test date. Make sure that you are updated about the same. To know anything more about TOEFL and important dates, subscribe at Exam Practice.
How you should prepare for the TOEFL?
- If you want to score high, you need to practice more and more. Because practice makes it easy to get a good TOEFL score. You must make a promise to yourself that you will work hard. The more you work, the more you get. Remember that you should not appear in TOEFL until you are ready to score above 90%. TOEFL online preparation
- First, try to make a schedule and confirm with it. Practice the areas where you are weaker. Set the time each day and try to complete a whole set of questions without a break.
- Make sure that you have a teacher or friend for speaking and listening. Without it, you will not be able to read and do the listening practice. You need someone who can have a look at your writing as well as listening to your speeches is of prime importance. But remember that he or she must be very good at the English language.
- Take the practice test very seriously. Pretend that you are appearing in the actual TOEFL. Set the alarm and start off on your own. Meanwhile, no phone calls, no dictionary or another kind of bits of help. First, you will get nervous. But after more and more practice you will definitely overcome it. Mostly you will gain confidence.
- Try to focus on the vocabulary and try to learn new words. Try to make a full sentence with the words. You have to prove to yourself that is well versed in the English language.
- Last but not least, be confident and focus on your target. It will help you to achieve your goal.
TOEFL Online Preparation
Let's recap with some questions