What is the BULATS exam?
The BULATS (Business Language Testing Service) certification tests is an English test. The Bulats is similar to the TOEIC test and is used to assess the ability of people to communicate in English in a professional environment. It tests your language level in business English, in an international context. The certification is delivered by Cambridge English Language Assessment. What is the BULATS exam
The Bulats preparation is necessary since, like all standardized tests, BULATS responds to specific schemes to evaluate a level. What is the BULATS exam
The history of the Bulats and the changes made
The BULATS has a story full of change: it was first created in 4 languages, but today only the English test is delivered by Cambridge English Language Assessment. Since the BULATS reform in January 2017, the test is available only in English, moreover, it becomes available in computer version only.
The Bulats test is no longer administered in paper since 2017. What is the BULATS exam
This allows you to automatically adapt the test to your language level. As the candidate progresses, the system selects the next question based on the quality of the previous answer, making it easier or harder to achieve a consistent and reliable level of skill. What is the BULATS exam
In autumn 2018, a new change came, the BULATS changed its name to Linguaskill. There will be two different tests: Linguaskill General and Linguaskill Business, you will be able to choose according to your level or your project.
The need to pass the BULATS exam What is the BULATS exam
BULATS is a widely used English test to measure your language level. It is internationally recognized by many different institutions. You can take the test for many reasons.
You can pass the BULATS for your studies. It can be applied for entrance exams for “business school” for MBA studies. It can also help you to complete a semester abroad.
What is the structure of the Bulats?
The Bulats exam is composed of 3 modules, which the candidate can pass separately, by two or all at the same time. You may be asked to pass only one module, or several, to get a better idea of your level of English. What is the BULATS exam
Bulats Listening and Reading What is the BULATS exam
The Bulats Listening and Reading test provide quick and accurate identification of a candidate’s written and oral comprehension skills as well as grammatical and lexical knowledge. Thanks to an adaptive system on a computer, the questions asked automatically correspond to your level.
The test lasts about 1 hour in total. It is subdivided into two parts, two exercises. You are tested on your comprehension, oral or written, and then your English language knowledge. You are asked to answer various questions, which can be several forms and several different media.
- Read and select an answer (MCQ)
- Fill in the blanks (with several answer choices, in the form of multiple-choice questions)
- Fill in the blanks (without multiple choice of answers)
- Long reading
- Listen and select an answer (images)
- Listen and select an answer (short recording)
- Listen and select an answer (long recording)
The Bulats Speaking test assesses speaking skills in a professional context. The expression test is done entirely on the computer, you must speak in a microphone.
Speaking is quite short, it lasts 15 minutes. In total, you must answer 4 different exercises.
- Part 1: You must answer 8 simple questions about yourself, your experience, your job, your future. For example: Where do you work? What is your profession?
- Part 2: You must read aloud 8 sentences that appear on your screen.
- Part 3: This time, you need to talk about a work-related topic (for example, the ideal office, the skills needed to work in a team) that you have to comment for 1 minute.
- Part 4: For this last part, you need to speak from a document with multiple graphs (for example, pie charts or line graphs). You must comment for 1 minute.
The Bulats Writing test assesses writing skills and grammatical and lexical knowledge. The written production module is offered on a computer.
The written expression lasts 45 minutes in total. What is the BULATS exam
- Part 1: You must write a short e-mail or a short letter of 50 to 60 words. This part is mandatory and represents 1/3 of the final score.
- Part 2: You must write a report or a letter from 180 to 200 words in accordance with the instructions. This part represents 2/3 of the final score.
If you pass all the tests at the same time, the test should last about 2 hours. What is the BULATS exam
What are the themes of the event?
The test is very targeted on the vocabulary: 75% of the content is relative to the field of business. You will be put in a professional situation most often during your test. So there are some words and phrases that will come back often. If you do a good test training, you will learn quickly and your level will improve.
The lexical fields returning regularly in the topics are related to the situations that you can meet in company, as for example:
- Buying and selling transactions
- Products and services
- The general working environment
- Entertainment of business clients
- Business trips
- Training and personal development
How is the Bulats score calculated?
The results of the test are issued in the form of attestation of results, with your CEFR level. The results are issued immediately for the written and oral comprehension tests and a paper copy will be provided by the test organizer. You will receive the results of the tests of oral expression and written expression within 5 to 7 days, by mail.
The Bulats being an adaptive test (the certification does not test a specific level of language, but gives you your level), a score is awarded on a scale from 1 to 100, corresponding to a CERCL level (A1 to C2). On the certificate of results you will find your overall score, but also your scores for each skill (written and oral comprehension, written and oral expression) with the associated level. What is the BULATS exam
Where to pass the Bulats?
The Bulats is an international test, recognized by many schools, institutions and companies. To pass it, it is imperative to register because it is administered independently. You can register in 2 ways: What is the BULATS exam
- From an agent Bulats, an independent body accredited by Cambridge English Language Assessment to distribute the test to individuals and professionals.
- In a placement centre, a Cambridge English Language Assessment client organization authorized to organize test sessions.
You can find the list of Bulats agents and award centres. Warning: not all centres offer Writing and Speaking events.
Find the place of passage and arrive early on the day! It is important to recognize where you will take the test before D-Day, so that you can control the travel time to get there. Remember that on the day of the exam, you will need to arrive 30 minutes before the start of the test. Candidates who come late may be refused to sit for the exam. Do not forget to bring your letter of convocation and a valid identity document (with your photo and your signature). However, you do not need to bring pens or sheets.